By: Hannah Willette
1 pound pastured bacon
3 pounds pastured ground beef
42 ounces stewed tomatoes
16 ounces tomato sauce
2/3 cups pumpkin
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
3 garlic gloves, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Instructions: 1. Chop the bacon up in bite-size pieces. Toss the bacon pieces in a skillet and cook until crispy.
2. Spoon out the bacon pieces and reserve three tablespoons of bacon grease.
3. In a large stock pot over medium-high heat saute the carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic in the reserved bacon grease.
4. Add in the ground beef and begin to brown the meat. Take your time to break the meat while browning.
5. Pour in the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned pumpkin puree, chili powder, chipotle pepper, salt, cumin, and black pepper.
6. Add the bacon pieces to the chili and reduce the heat to medium-low.
7. Cover the chili with a lid and simmer for 1-2 hours.
Notes: This is an original chili recipe I created last year in an effort to include some of my cold-weather garden vegetables like pumpkin and carrots into our chili dinners. It turned out so good that we’ve been making it ever since.
As a side note, our family went completely paleo two years ago thanks to Rob’s Paleo Solution book. It changed our lives forever.
Since then we’ve gathered and posted many of our best original paleo recipes over at www.thewholekitchen.com.