Gluten Free January! Guest post by Matt Lentzner

Hi There.

I’m sure you’ll notice a distinct lack of coolness in this post. I was never a state champion anything. I never plumbed the dark depths of veganism. I don’t have a luxurious beard. I don’t even have a catch phrase. I’m just some guy who likes to train and wants to be healthy.

What I do have is an idea.

What if we could get as many people as possible to go gluten-free for just one month? How about this January, 2011?

Robb and I agree on the following: If you could boil the whole Paleo lifestyle down to just three words it would be “Eat No Gluten”. That’s the single most important thing.

Now I realize that on this blog I am mostly preaching to the choir. Chances are, you guys are gluten-free and then some. But what about all those people you know who kinda think you might be on to something, but feel overwhelmed about full-monty Paleo? Could you convince them to just try gluten-free for one month after the holidays? Maybe this would be a precipitating event in their life that puts them on to the path of better health.

There’s a website you can refer them to: www.glutenfreejan.com. To sign up they just have to send an email to glutenfreejan@gmail.com with their first name, last initial, and their current city or town of residence.

Happy holidays and best wishes for a gluten-free new year!

Matt

gluten death

Categories: Autoimmunity, Celiac and Gluten-Free

Comments

I have been gluten/dairy free for seven years at the recommendation of my naturopath. It has made a huge difference for my family and me. In August of this year I removed all grains and legumes. I can’t tell you how much easier it is to stay gluten free by eliminating the grains and legumes. Why? I think even when you are eating gluten free grains, you tend to crave more and when in situations that were unplanned (and sometimes even when planned), it is easier to cave because you are craving some type of grain satisfaction. Once I removed the grains totally, I don’t crave any type of grain. I find gluten tons easier to resist. My teenage daughter is experiencing the same thing. (Yay for her. She even brings her own food to sleepovers.) So, although I think going gluten free for thirty days is an excellent idea, my experience is that going grain free makes it so much easier to be gluten free. Good luck to all who give gluten free a try. You won’t regret it. Well, not until the first time you add it back to your diet. :)

2. Nick says

I love the idea.. but then you get these goofballs that just go and buy all the same foods (waffles, pizza etc..) just the gluten free version and thats all they eat.. and when they dont get the results they should they say ” oh this paleo, non gluten thing is BS”… So Frustrating.. how do you make these people listen?? and by people, im talking about my parents:) God Love em

3. Chris W says

Rob, I have barretts esophagus and bad GERD. About 4 years ago, I had surgery to place a nissen at the base of my esophagus and stomach because I had a hiatel hernia. This caused gas-bloat syndrome. Long story short, to get through a day I take Nexium, zantac, 9 beanos, and 4 gas-x’s. I really want a diet that helps this and Paleo seems like it would. However, if you search all the things, i.e. spices, onions, peppers, I can’t have due to acid reflux I am very limited. I’ve tried Paleo a couple of times and have gotten bad visual migraine headaches. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris W, I had GERD so bad that it gave me an esophageal ulcer. A low-carb diet (~50g per day) cured me of it. However, I had to be extremely careful the first three or four months due to acid rebound. That’s where your proton pumps go wild after getting off an acid blocker like Nexium. If you need something to get through rebound, use Zantac or drink a baking soda solution.

As for those so-called trigger foods like onions, spicy food, etc.–I’m sitting here having hot wings. Eating late, sleeping on my right side–no prob. It’s the carbs. Wheat and fruit are the worst.

Some people find that magnesium helps their migraine headaches; I found I needed quite a bit of Mg (500-750 mg a day) after starting a low-carb diet. I’ve read that it’s necessary if you eat a high-fat diet.

I have several posts on acid reflux on my blog if you’re interested.

4. Alex says

What about other non-gluten grains? Oatmeal, rice, quinoa, etc? Would these still be acceptable to eat in limited quantities?

According to the rules, yes you may.

That being said, you will have better results if you replace those gluten foods with meat and vegetables. I’m encouraging that, but not requiring it.

• Travis says

I don’t eat non-gluten grains. They’re nutritionally poor compared to meat and when I have eaten them, I don’t like the way they make me feel. They usually make me tired the next day. Maybe it’s the sugar overload since that’s what they become during digestion. Or, maybe it’s the poisons in them. I stick with meat, veggies, fruits, and nuts.

I’d agree, that is #1. Cut out the gluten and a lot of things fall into place. Crackers, cookies, donuts, and cake are out, that takes care of a lot of the sugar vehicles too.

#2 I would put as cut out beverages with sugar.

It takes no effort to avoid things, but it does take effort to learn new recipes as replacements. The great thing is, the new things taste even better, and plenty of things can be easily made by those of us that thought we couldn’t cook..

6. Connie P says

After being gluten free for almost 5 years I had a roommate move in and all of a sudden there was beer in the fridge! I never bring that (delicious)shite in the house. I was tempted to have a couple and have been suffering with joint and belly pain now for a week! It’s not worth it!!!

I’m IN but I’ll see your gluten-free-for-January and raise you a lifetime!

Connie

7. Lark says

FWIW, people who are gluten intolerant may also have issues with corn protein and may not see an improvement if they go “gluten free” by substituting corn for wheat products.

8. sara says

Eat a healthy vegetarian diet and never look book! I feel great! Its nicer to the environment and all the poor factory farmed animals.