There seems to have been a ‘bit’ of resistance to my recent post about the use of protein powders and liquid nutrition. If you missed that whole show let me give you a quick recap. Amy said: “Real food is always the best option and protein powders aren’t necessary.” This kind of ‘crazy talk’ brought out every shaker bottle owner, supplement junkie and powder pusher in cyber world. As Robb so eloquently put it – I “kicked their puppies”. Now, I’m going to warn you right off – this post is not going to tell you that I changed my mind on the subject – nope, no endorsements here…
One of the MAJOR hang-ups that many readers had was; “real food isn’t convenient”. Okay, I agree it takes a little more thought to put together a ‘real food’ post workout meal; but I assure you it isn’t going to take HOURS, it’s definitely not rocket science and you can do it! I have clients that travel, have kids, work full time, are constantly on the go and guess what? They are 100% powder free!! I kid you not – and you know what else? They are seeing results, recovering awesomely, and they aren’t complaining about the lack of convenience either. I’m telling you – it can be done!! Yes, you may have to turn the TV off 10-15 minutes earlier than usual and pick up a few extra things at the grocery store, but ultimately your body is going to thank you. Now, I’m not telling you that you HAVE to ditch your shaker bottle – I mean if you are REALLY that attached to it – have at it. Your ‘relationships’ are your choice and I’m not going to judge you. However, if you aren’t getting the results you think you should – don’t complain until you’ve ended your affair with the scoop and powder.
Okay, back to the task at hand. I’m going to help you all out and make this ‘transition’ a little less bumpy. Now this is not a post telling you what your post workout meal should look like. Remember, the composition (carbs, protein, fat) will depend on YOUR goals, needs, activity, and health. There is no ‘one size fits all’. This is a post to give you some CONVENIENT, throw in your gym bag or in a container in the fridge, ideas for quick post workout meals that don’t require a shaker bottle.
- Packets or easy-open cans of water-packed tuna, salmon and/or sardines
- Hard boiled eggs
- Pre-cooked steak or chicken sliced into easy to eat strips
- Mini paleo meatloaves (make your meatloaf in muffin pans)
- Jerky (get the good stuff – Slim Jim’s are NOT the ‘good stuff’)
- Pre-cooked frozen shrimp (just run them under water to thaw and they’re ready to eat!)
Carbohydrate Options: (consider your goals here!!!!)
- Pre-cooked sweet potatoes (baked, roasted, etc) – these are even good cold!!
- Packets of baby food sweet potatoes and/or squash blends (there are lots of them out there!!!)
- Cans of sweet potatoes, squash and/or pumpkin (unsweetened)
- Fresh fruit (this is not the best choice – but can work in a pinch!)
Fat Options: (again, consider your goals!!!!)
- Unsweetened Coconut chips/flakes
- Raw coconut meat
- Medium Chain Triglyceride oil (MCT oil)
- Nuts and/or olives (not the best choices – but can work in a pinch)
There are some quick, convenient options for you to play with. Will it require a little prep and thought? Yeah, a little – but once you start ‘chewing it’ you won’t look back and during the transition we’ll all be here to support you. You can ‘chew’ it!!!
Are you ready to ‘break-up’ with your shaker bottle?