The Paleo Solution – Episode 115

Performance Menu: Journal of Health & Athletic Excellence

Download Episode Here

Download a transcript of this episode

Features guest Michael Rutherford

ME Black Box articles here

Comments

1. gary martins
    January 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

hahaha most hilarious podcast everr!

2. Al
    January 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

No file found!

3. ehayes
    January 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm

The glute activation drills were the missing component in my training for years. I was doing crossfit for years and none of my coaches ever picked up on this. I’d always end up with burning quads and my glutes and hamstrings always felt fresh. Robb, mentioned how his glutes were sore after sled pushing, which for me was a quad burn. No crossfit cert ever talked about glute activation, “muted hip” wasn’t even that clear about it to me. Thanks again guys. For a quick reference if you don’t live near a Coach Rut type coach, read Bret Contreras, Dispelling the Glute Myth. If you are a quad dominant , tight anterior hip athlete, this might completely change the way you train.

4. Jennie
    January 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Who wouldn’t LOVE that guy?? What a fantastic podcast!

5. PaleoDruid
    January 18, 2012 at 9:09 am

I’d love a video of this one arm, one leg contralateral insanity.

6. Fabricatorgeneral
    January 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Awesome podcast! Visions of Greg trainin a chess player to squat made my day. I would love to hear more about the variety vs specificity topic. Rut mentions that variety decreases risk of injury and is better suited for an athlete training for health rather than a specific sport like powerlifting. I am an LEO and as such my training focuses on general athletic ability. However my strength program is “specific” to the 5 main lifts in a linear progression model with sone accessory work. I’d really like to get more info on this. How does variation decrease injury? How do you maintain a training effect? Is variation vs specificity better suited for novice, intermediate, or advanced litters? Could you utilize phases of training to balance variety and specificity to create a training effect? Ok I’ll stop. Seriously though, good stuff. Would love to get more info. Y’all are the bomb. Encore

7. MeatHawk
    January 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

you forgot to mention another special guest who showed up a lot on episode 115: long, awkward silences. seriously though, love the show – I would be happy to pay for episodes. You should at least have one of those “donate” buttons to click on your site like Jimmy Moore has. Also, who gets the money from the articles that I buy from the performance menu?

8. Thomas
    January 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Excellent cast guys! I think you should do a youtube video show with you, greg, welbourne and rutt! Take a ton of questions and make it a two hour show with tequilla and cocaine (maybe a hooker intermission) and just see what happens! Again great show!

9. Chris
    January 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

I could listen to you whippersnappers all day. It is awesome to learn the history of this field from people who have changed my life in so many positive ways.

10. Tudor
    January 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

Rob, please translate your shopping list into Romanian!…i want to begin eating paleo but i just can’t figure out what’s the right designation into Romanian for some of the foods you listed.(used google translate to write this message)

11. scott
    January 25, 2012 at 8:37 am

As a member of Rut’s KC gym and fan of his programming, I was compelled to listen to this episode. Now I am hooked and am methodically working my way through the podcast archive. Thank you for investing your energy and talents in this endlessly fascinating topic. I personally can attest to the positive impact you are making through your work.

12. Patrick
    January 27, 2012 at 7:01 am

I wish Rut went into programming more. I’ve read all the MEBB articles from PM. But, I’m left wondering about body weight substitutions for the movement pools. Anyone have experience with this? I feel that frequency would be too low to progress, if say, you focused on muscle ups, pistols, and handstand pushups, for instance, as the three main lifts. Thoughts?