The Paleo Solution – Episode 101

Performance Menu: Journal of Health & Athletic Excellence

Download Episode Here

Download a transcript for this episode

Features guest Dr. Boyd Eaton

Three generations of Paleo Shenanigans!

Comments

1. Buffcoat
    October 11, 2011 at 6:49 am

Women’s rights? How about male infant circumcision? How the hell is that paleo?

• Robb Wolf
      October 11, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’ve always wanted to organize a society to group mourn our collective fore-skin loss.

• Sal
        October 12, 2011 at 9:17 am

On my HS waterpolo team.. we had the “mushroom milita” and the “foreskin enforcers”… Coaches never knew about it but thats how our team split up for scrimmages. So much pride on the line

• Aaron O
          November 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Soft top or convertible, Its a shame we don’t get to pick

2. Joseph
    October 11, 2011 at 7:07 am

I ran across this George Bernard Shaw quote a few days ago:
    “This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.”

During ‘I, Caveman’ there was a scene where you had a reflective moment contemplating your own eventual death. From my perspective you and your work exemplify the essence of that Shaw quote better than anyone else whom I’m aware.
    Thank you for your work, diligence, and persistence.

Joseph

• Alexandra
      October 20, 2011 at 2:36 am

This quote is going into my good quote file. Thanks!

Robb, I watched both I-Caveman episodes on itunes… good stuff. I must say though, the whininess amongst my gender was often cringe worthy!

3. Mike
    October 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

It’s good to hear Dr. Boyd Eaton. You can tell by how well spoken he is that his mind is still that of a great scientist (aka very sharp).

Oh, and I’d donate to academic research funding! You are right, perhaps crowd-sourcing will help clean up some of the bad science being done now.

4. John Calhoun
    October 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

Congrats on making Livestrong.com’s 24 most controversial Health Figures! Go #19!!!. Woohoo!

Wow. Eat real food. Where exactly is the controversy? Livestrong has really been striving for new lows recently.

• Amy Kubal
      October 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

Right between Bethenny Frankel and Kim Kardashian… How’s that for company? ;o)

5. Jeff
    October 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

What happened to Greg Everett in this podcast… could have used his super-human strength to pry apart the love birds!

• Robb Wolf
      October 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Best to just let nature take it’s course…

• Chris
      October 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yes indeed! And what was Charles Mayfield’s role? Please have him back on the show…and talk to him.

6. Andy
    October 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hi Robb,

I have enjoyed your book and your blog. In your latest Podcast Episode 101, you mentioned the idea of crowd-sourcing studies on the Paleo diet/lifestyle. You might be interested to note that there is a new web-based tool for doing crowd-sourced volunteer-based studies. It is called Genomera. I heard the developers speak at a conference I attended this past summer, and their platform for facilitating crowd-sourced studies looks very promising. I am not affiliated with the development of the application, but thought you might find it interesting.

Take care,
    Andy

7. Casey
    October 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I knew Boyd Eaton when we both were undergrads at Duke. He was, bar none, the handsomest guy on campus–movie-star level–as well as one of the nicest. Now I know he also was one of the smartest.

8. Panagiotis
    October 12, 2011 at 2:33 am

Hey Robb,

I am sure someone will have brought this to your attention, but Kickstarter is a great platform for social funding. Have a look at it!

• Robb Wolf
      October 12, 2011 at 7:03 am

Thanks! Yea, we have looked at that. We will get something rolling.

9. J
    October 12, 2011 at 5:49 am

I would buy a paleo dudes calendar. Please make one.

• Robb Wolf
      October 12, 2011 at 7:03 am

You pick who you want in it, we’ll organize it and give proceeds to ASPCA.

• J
        October 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

You crack me up, yet challenge me to gather the list if twelve…here goes:

Robb Wolf, of course, dressed in just an apron carrying his atlatl..

I’ll get the other 11 together momentarily.

• J

John Welbourn
          Greg Everett
          Dain Sandoval
          Andy Deas

• JMH
      October 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

Only if you do a paleo girl’s calendar too.
      Fair’s fair, and equality and etcetera.

What about a paleo kids calendar? Duuude. I’d put that up in my daycare. Viral subliminal marketing.

• J
        October 15, 2011 at 9:08 am

Perhaps even months could be the ladies and odd months the dudes?

• JasonB
          October 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

No. Bad idea. Just do one of each. I respect what many of these Paleo dudes have accomplished with their body composition, but I do not want to see them mostly naked on my wall 6 months a year. “Daddy, who’s that guy and why is he holding a spear in front of his uhh…spear?” That’s not a conversation I want to have with my 5 year old daughter.

As a stupid aside: the original calendar Dr. Eaton was talking about was “The Full Vermonty”, which had to change its name to “The Men of Maple Corners” due to legal threats from the creators of the Fully Monty. Maple corners is in Calais VT, roughly 30 minutes from my home. One of my uncles was in one of those calendars, and we all questioned the wisdom of putting him (then 60ish) in the calendar instead of his son (then 25ish).

Who would compromise the Paleo ladies?

10. J
    October 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

You crack me up, yet challenge me to gather the list if twelve…here goes:

Robb Wolf, of course, dressed in just an apron carrying his atlatl..

I’ll get the other 11 together momentarily.

11. Tom
    October 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm

My anthro advisor is stoked to listen to the podcast. I thought it was a great interview and it would be *awesome* to see a re-release of the Paleolithic Prescription.

As for some of the mentions about audio quality I saw on twitter, who cares?! This stuff is GOLD, even with a bit of garbled audio due to connection speeds. And it’s FREE GOLD, for which I am incredibly appreciative. That said, if you ever elect to have a subscription fee or start a paypal fund to defray costs associated with the show, I’d be down to donate! Same goes for the crowd-sourced research.

12. Allan Balliett
    October 13, 2011 at 3:34 am

Robb – Either Greg was playing with a theremin on the audio feed or there were a lot of SKYPE artifacts in this podcast.I’m definitely not knocking the quality of the podcasts and I appreciate every moment that you are on the air. From remarks Amber made about an up-and-coming Joel Salatin interview, I understand that you have your guests on SKYPE as well as your studio. I’m wondering if you couldn’t get more stable sound and similar economics by using SKYPE to initiate calls to your guests’ land lines?

I’m just curious about how this works and don’t think for a moment that I don’t dig your voice coming through all those dolphin sounds!

13. Maryann
    October 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Awesome podcast! Love, absolutely LOVE Dr. Eaton! He’s right about you guys and this social network stuff on the interwebs.

I can’t donate a lot, but will certainly contribute to help fund a study. Please keep us informed!

14. Jennie
    October 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Dr. Eaton is such a sweet gentleman! And wow… what a Paleo Pioneer! Robb, you must have felt so honored by all his kinds words (all true, by the way!). Great podcast!!