Ancestral Health Symposium

I wanted to let people know about the upcoming Ancestral Health Symposium: The Human Ecological Niche and Modern Health. The exact date has not been set yet but it should be mid-late summer of next year. (thanks for the proof reading folks!)

The concept is to bring together prominent thinkers in the areas of evolutionary biology, paleolithic nutrition and related topics. When I first heard about the event I immediately made a note in my “to do” list to book travel to the event. Then, shockingly, I was asked to present at the event. It’s tough to put into word how excited I am for this event. Many of the presenters are literally my heroes and hold more influence in my life than any politician, rock-star or movie personality. What can I say, I’m a geek!

So I will post updates as they become available but I wanted to give folks an early heads-up.

Book Update!

I’m making pretty solid progress on the book, Mat and Yael have provided amazing feedback on their edits. We are still tinkering with cover art but that will all fall into place. We should have pre-orders on amazon before too long and still looking for an early September for a release.

Blog/Podcast/New Site/Advanced topics course

I’m in the preliminary stages of a new site that will include forums, much more media and content. Video-blogs, podcast, education. It should be pretty cool and will help a lot of people get a handle on both the conceptual material and how to actually live along these paleo lines. After the book is finished my top priority it finalizing the curriculum for the advanced topics course that will be offered through Prof. Cordain. Mat will likely play the primary role in that material. This should be 3rd party accredited “out of the box” and as I’ve mentioned, should count for both CEU’s and Uni credits. Pseudo-science and Uni-credits! What could be better?

I just wanted to thank everyone for the continued support and encouragement on the book and other projects. I am amazingly fortunate to do what I do every day.

Categories: Events

Comments

This is awesome Robb! I look forward to the event, your book, and your new site. One thing that we see missing is a place for the community of CrossFitters who have attended your seminar and are now bringing this knowledge to their own boxes (like me). Hopefully your new site has a forum for us to share best practices!

Pseudo science and Uni creds? I’m all over that like a fat kid on a Big Gulp! I was excited to find out Mat LaLonde will be a co-instructor at Jame’s CCP nutrition cert this summer.

Any carry over from OPT’s courses, or totally different stuff?

Mike-
      There will be overlap but each program is playing to different audiences. Mat is a genius with this stuff, cannot describe how much he has helped with the book.

Excited to hear about a plan for a new site that your fans (yes, all 12 of us) can geek out about biochemistry as applied in pseudoscientific forms.

Keep up the good work on the writing!

4. julianne says

Hi Robb,
    Will the advanced topics course be available distance learning?

The symposium sound amazing – I’m hoping to drag my family off for the trip!

Julianne-
      Depending upon which module you are going for there will be online elements to it, but then in person practicums. To call these “certs” people will need to demonstrate more than a pulse during the event.

5. Jay says

Robb and Andy,
    Thanks so much guys for tackling my question this week, I’m super appreciative of everything you do for all of us who need nutritional guidance!
    I also want to say I am super pumped about all the new stuff coming up! I’ll definitely be one of the first to pre-order the book and am highly anticipating the new advanced topics course!
    Again guys, you’ve been so generous giving away this information just so people can live better lives. If you believe in Karma (I don’t but still think it’s a cool concept), I am confident in saying you’ve got a monstrous surplus in the Karma bank.

6. Mike says

Robb, this looks awesome!

I’ve been a fan of your website for a while and am continually impressed by how much it and what you do just keeps getting better and better (especialy over the past year), as well as all the info you bring our way.
    Looks like a great excuse to plan a trip to Cali!

Keep up the awesome work!

7. Brandon says

Awesome . Thank you Rob and Andy . I’ve listened to all 21 podcast since you guys started. I guess I’m the 13th fan. I’m looking forward to the preorder of the book also. I helps my geek side to read things all my friends couldn’t stomach to practice . They all think I’m going die from my grassfed beef consumption . It’s funny because most of them are fat and are on bp meds. I’m 5’5” and 156 lbs of lean muscular paleo meat. I guess I’m going to keep killing myself eatting paleo and low carb. And I would like to give a shout to my CF buddys at IACF in Miami . Thanks again Rob

8. Matt Lentzner says

When you come up for air, it would be nice to have a page dedicated to blood work. Pretty simple, with just the preferred and optimal levels for Triglycerides, A1C, C-reactive protein, HDLs.

I’d actually be willing to write it up for your review if you like. I feel I should contribute something since you are so generous with your time answering questions, etc.

Best,

Matt

9. Henry says

Here’s an idea for warm paleo lunches folks that are tired of salads, but don’t have a microwave like students and some adults on the go.
    Zojirushi lunch jars. Hot bento lunches are very popular in Japan.

The bottom bowl is meant for hot soups and stews.
    Start a paleo crockpot at night. In the morning, you have a meal that’s ready for packing and that will stay warm until lunch. They come with 3 or 4 containers that are just the right portion size.

If you want to keep food warmer, you can prep some containers with steaming hot water for 5 minutes before putting food in them.

10. Larry says

Robb, so excited about the advanced topics coursework for uni credit — and that this is a priority after getting your book finished! I will be one of the first in line for this. I do hope y’all will find a way to minimize travel for these, for the more budget-conscious of us out there. Lots of ways these days to do online testing or even proctored testing remotely….

Looking forward to the hoboken seminar, too!

11. Ed says

Can wait for the new site? I have tons of questions concerning vegetarianism. Given my strong interest in health, wellness and human performance I simply don’t have enough time to peruse this blog and find all of the gems.

I was raised vegetarian and have a hard time eating meat. My resistance has nothing to do with ethics, just habit or lack thereof. Also, the community in which I was raised discourages meat eating. They have been recognized in a couple of studies at the top of the longevity scale. I guess my greatest concern is that if I were to drop the lacto-ovo approach and switch to meat, I would be trading longevity for performance.

12. Ed says

I didn’t mean to sound like a tool. What I meant was that I am soaking in everything on this blog and human performance and Rippetoe’s site, therefore I need a bit of help in tracking down some of the info.

13. Ed says

Dude, Robb. I just listened to your Podcast 17 and you mentioned a vegetarian family (1:11:47) so I guess you are familiar with that particular community.
    My issues are that my wife and I have stepped up to on rare occasions to Salmon, Cod, White fish, and Tunas but chicken and beef seem a bit far off.
    Can we Paleo and stay pescatarians?
    Also, I am not surprised that this particular communities longevity statistically stands out in the American context. Health and longevity have always been a big focus for them. What interests me is the larger community present in Loma Liinda. Dr. Oz recently profiled the community and he seemed to suggest that the Loma Linda community was representative of the longevity sampling. I immediately thought that was wrong given the fact that Loma Linda sits in the middle of the worst air quality for the US.
    We have a great community, but my wife and I have considered relocating to Redding for the sake of our growing boy’s health. I suspect air quality has a huge impact on health and longevity, especially early development.
    Have you found any interesting data on the effects of poor air quality, performance, and longevity? It’s too easy to simply assume some sort of obvious connection. Perhaps you have something more objectively viable.

Ed-
      Fish only is fine! I think avoiding the lectins in grains/legumes is important. Redding is a good place. We have great friends at CF Redding, that’s actually the town I grew up.

14. miss spinach says

Congrats on your progress. Your pseudoscience is the best. I am looking forward to handing your book to my friends.