The Paleolithic Solution – Episode 12

We recorded this shortly after the Lou Mars event so please forgive us for being extra goofy this week.  We are very sleep deprived and heavily caffeinated, but wanted to make sure that we got the next episode out for folks. We are still working on the reverb issue so please bear with us while we iron that.

This is also the episode where Robb reminds us that milk is simply filtered cow’s blood (great mental image). I was tempted to post some video of the Masaai tribe, but I will let folks decide on their own if they want to use google to track that down.

Download a transcript of Episode 12

Here is a recent post from the Paleo Diet blog discussing Lysozyme.

Show Topics:

1. Lou Mars Discussion
  2. Preworkout Nutrition Discussion
  3. Fish Oil Calculation
  4. Digestive Enzymes
  5. Heart Burn & Fish Oil
  6. Babies & Neolithic Foods
  7. Green Beans & Paleo Diet
  8. Beef Protein Isolate
  9. Fish Oil & Loose Stools
  10. Allergy Shots
  11. Eating Different Macronutrients Together
  12. Eggs & Lysozyme
  13. Woman & Bulking Up
  14. How Low Should Bodyfat Be Before Bulking?

Show Notes – The_Paleolithic_Solution_Episode_12

Download Episode 12

Categories: Podcasts

1. Jae Chung says

Re: heartburn from fish oil pills:

I was somewhat skeptical that fish oil causes heartburn, too, but my mother was taking one Costco fish oil pill per day or something like that (max 3 per day). She reported that it gave her heartburn so badly that she avoided taking the pills at all.

At that point I was trying to convince her that she needed to take MORE fish oil, so we switched her to Carlson’s liquid. She takes a teaspoon of fish oil and a teaspoon of cod liver oil daily with no heartburn problems now.

Maybe it’s some inactive ingredient in the pills that caused her some irritation?

Love the podcast – it’s about all I listen to on the way to work and home and it helps me keep my focus eating Primal/Paleo.

About the reverb issue. I notice it occurs on Robb’s end and not Andy’s. Is Robb’s computer turned down as he talks? I am wondering if the feedback/reverb isn’t occurring because we’re hearing Robb and also hearing Robb hear himself on his computer. Just a thought.

Keep the great info coming!

Robb and Andy, Love the show. It’s like a nutrition cert that just keeps going (yes that’s a good thing).

I was just wondering about Ghee. My wife is lactose intolerant, and we’re both doing lowish carb paleo, but I figure it should ok since it has the milk solids removed. But, I assume that would also negate some of the benefit of a good grass fed butter, correct?

Also, any thoughts on Tallow and Lard? I’m sure we would want grass fed/ pastured, any good sources online (I’m in Texas, we love our grain fed meat).

BTW, my wife and I figured out the source of the “interference” on the podcast. The Robot Legion is trying to shut you down, because they want the population to be obese, slow, and insulin dependent on the day of the Uprising.

Way to fight the power!

4. Duncan says

Personally, I would prefer vending machines full of cow’s blood over the “juices”, soda and crap they sell now. One of these days I’m going to grow the stones to try a blood/milk mix like the Massai.

5. jgalon04 says

You mention several times the importance of balancing Omega 3 and 6- especially considering our high intake of Omega 6 due to our meat sources.

Can you help us understand the scientific argument for balancing 3 and 6?

Hi Robb-

great podcast……thought I would mention something from question #5; we get a LOT of poeple who get heartburn or belching from the fish oil. 9/10 =hypoclhorhydria. Adding that much fat to the system overburden an already weak stomach.

7. James says

Hey Robb, I just recently heard a comment that it is optimal to take fish oil at separate times from eating fiber rich foods and/or fiber supplements. It supposedly has something to do with absorption of the fats? I was wondering what type of effect it could have if you do take fish oil and a fiber supplement at the same time. I’m looking to optimally tweak my diet to get the greatest benefit from everything I’m ingesting.
    Also, for some background, I’m eating paleo. No nuts or seeds, I have switched to coconut oil and milk, avocado and olive oil. I noticed an amazing difference in the way I feel when i cut out nuts and seeds. I supplement with fish oil, Vit D-3, mag oil and ZMA. I do add in a fiber supplement. I meditate 30-60 mins a day. Im following 5/3/1 2 days a week and am working the O-lifts (just starting) 2 days a week and conditioning is generally 5-10 mins of kettlebell work twice a week.
    To summarize,
    Does taking fish oil at the same time as a fiber supplement or fiber rich foods affect the absorption of the fish oil or reduce its effectiveness?
    Are there any other ways I can optimize my diet with the timing of the supplements I’m taking and/or the combinations of supplements and foods?
    Thanks, James

8. Jared says

I have to admit I’m a little confused by this post workout talk.

In one of your earlier post you recommended that if you are trying to lean out then a low carb post workout is ideal, such as whey and coconut milk

however in some of your recent podcast you recommend that a guy having difficulty leaning out needs to be putting his carbs into post workout, with things such as sweet potato? Please explain

Listen to the first podcast…then keep in mind there are MANY different points of entry and needs. Not a one size fits all approach. Let me know if that clarifies things, if not we can tackle it in the podcast.

Robb I have a question in regards to type II diabetics.
    When starting them off on a paleo approach, does their carbohydrate intake have to differ from that of a person who is not diabetic, and then gradually be lessened as they progress with insulin sensitivity? Or if not, if you were to take a type II and put them into a low carb paleo approach, are there any precautions that you should be aware of that might hinder their progress in the beginning or medical needs to look after as they start up (ie. black outs)

Also, can inflammation within the body cause weight retention for those who are following a paleo plan, but not taking fish oil?

Thanks for the podcasts.

Re: pre-WOD meals

I agree that for the most part, the important thing is to not feel full, especially with HIIT or tempo work.

I do have a question regarding early-morning workouts, though. Whether via necessity or choice, some athletes do their workouts at the start of the day. Robb, would you generally recommend a IF approach to these workouts, or do you think that a small, easily digested meal (maybe a banana and some coffee?) would be in order?

11. Aaron says

Robb. I find it easy to suck down the protien and fat but i have trouble avoiding fruit. Im 100% paleo but not ketogenic. I heard you mention love handles in this podcast and uh… Mine may or may not drag on the ground behind me, i take the 10 g of fish oil + Mg+ D3 daily. Do srt work and 2-3 short-mid length crossfit football style wods a week. So myquestion is how much (how little) fruit should i be eating? Im so frustrated im about to knife off my fatness…

12. Chris says

Hi Rob,
    Love the podcast & blog. I have a question on replacing Omega 6 fats with Omega 3s. I eat way too much peanut butter and cashews, but it seems they are the only fats that really satiate me. I can eat a handful of cashews and not be hungry for hours. I find myself craving spoonfuls of peanut butter. I am addicted and am afraid my omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios are way out of wack.
    I eat mainly lean proteins, green vegies and fats. I stay away from fruits or else I chase my blood sugar all day. i am fairly fit but could lose about 5-10 lbs of fat around my middle.
    Any recommendations on satiating replacements for PB and cashews?

13. Wayne says

Hi Robb, love your podcasts mate,

What’s your take on full fat cows cream/milk as one of my fat sources once or twice a week as part of a meal? I thought I recalled you saying it was cool in small amounts etc on one of your podcasts.

And lastly, any difference between coconut milk and coconut cream is goodness/badness?

CF Auckland

14. miss spinach says

Hi Robb and Andy:

Thanks for answering my question about enzymes. It makes sense that this is a cortisol and adrenal issue, with the low cortisol in the morning and higher at night.

Years of eating gluten before having any lab work on the problem totally fucked up my adrenals. I had the first adrenal stress index test and the IgA gliadin test at the same time–in 2004 my adrenals were the lowest my health provider at the time had ever seen in her practice.

I have to be very careful to eat and sleep properly and not overtrain. I can’t eat anything that will set off autoimmunity again; I’ve figured out how much nuts I can tolerate (a few on a salad when eating out) and how much gluten (um, a few parts per million?). I’ve never had a weight problem per se but I have definitely had other problems and it pretty much all goes back to gluten.

That makes sense about the pancreatic issues; back in the old gluten days my digestion was much poorer. I feel like I am starting to respond well to the enzymes and am gradually cutting back on my dose.

15. luis says

I’d like to know about ghee vs kerry gold’s grassfed butter. I’m still in my leaning out phase. Is one preferable to the other or both to be avoided.

Robb or anyone else reading quick question. What is the more specific requirement on EPA/DHA mg per weight? I’m switching to Nordic and the levels are much different from Kirkland so I can’t really just throw down a certain count of pills anymore?

Also is EPA bad for pregnancy? I notice most prenatals only supplement DHA?

17. Jeremy says

Enough with the 7 listeners joke. You guys are putting out a quality product that is reaching a multitude of listeners. Keep up the great work. It is a really nice supplement to your website. Not bad for a someone who is deluding the masses with pseudo science.

I jsut get a kick out of that whole thing. Also, if I ever start spouting crap about “market share” to justify a dodgy position I am pushing…move towards the door, then RUN.

I hear they will unveil something at Fillfest. At this point, I would not be surprised if they offered a free or subsidized product. it will certainly be interesting either way.

18. Drew says

I was just walking on the street listening to the podcast and heard my name and realized you guys were answering my question. That comment about needing to realize that everything was 40-30-30 almost made me burst out laughing in the middle of a crowd. That and just PR’ing on Grace just made my day! Thanks for the great podcasts!

Robb, this is long but very interesting just wondered what your thoughts would be on it, if you have 90 min to watch. Love the podcast and all of your other material, please keep it coming.

Hey, Robb~
    Can you please direct me to any specific studies done on the amounts of Omega-3 you recommend (.5g-1.0g per 10# bodyweight?)

I have a client that is a biochemist, a vegetarian (which means he is using Flaxseed oil) and a skeptic and wonders about the whys and the proof for the levels you recommend. I have tried and tried to find links for this on your site so as not to be “that girl that doesn’t read what you’ve already written or talked about” and am getting lost in the (totally awesome) info.

Personally, I have done very well switching to putting fish and grassfed, raw milk and raw milk (homemade) yogurt back into my diet along with fish oil at .5g/10#, but I can’t give him any readable proof that this therapeutic dose will help him with the recurrent tendinitis issues he is experiencing.

Only a few studies look at levels this high…but it is used clinically all the time. Berardi, Poliquin and Sears all come to mind with similar recommendations. I’ll add that to the list to try to track down!

21. Jeff A says

great podcast once again! I get really excited when my ipod is syncing up with the newest edition.

Questions for next podcast:
    i hear a lot about nuts. But what about seeds? What seeds are good, bad, best? Sunflower seeds? I am eating sunflower butter (it tastes so much better). Is it as good as cashew/almond?

Do you recommend fish oil pills or liquid better? Is cod liver oil the best?

Could you explain lectins and why we don’t want to eat foods that have them?

Raw Eggs?

22. Charley says

I now you guys are going to be hitting the digestive aid deal, but what are you thoughts on raw (unpasteurized) sauerkraut, and are fermented food ok to roll with on the paleo deal.

Anyway great stuff as always!

23. Mike says

Another great podcast!

On the fish oil & heartburn thing, I remember many years ago when I had first tried fish oil (in spite of not understanding at the time how it actually worked or why it was helpful), and I definitely had some indigestion along with some nasty fish burps. Looking back and knowing what I know now (with thanks to your blog of course), I’d wonder if I may have just had a bad or low quality batch of capsules and/or if my not refrigerating them could have let them go rancid and have caused my issues then. Maybe Stu’s issue could be something similar also if the hypochlorhydria isn’t the cause?

As a side note I’ve been using the Carlson’s liquid for the past year and have felt great with that.

I also found the part on eating different macronutrients very interesting, as its something I’ve read and thought about myself lately… especially when you mentioned the punctuated equilibrium concept and the large meals PWO.
    I’ve found that I recover amazingly fast when my PWO feeding involves either protein powder in whole milk or coconut milk or a moderate size protein & carb meal, then a large protein/fat/veggies meal about an hour after that. Not sure if its the large amount of food in a short window or if its just the extra meal helping me better meet my protein requirements, but definitely interesting.

Also, Matt mentioned that same huge sausage & eggs breakfast at a nutrition cert I attended, and I’ve done it a few times myself and love it! Makes it really easy to go through the whole day without feeling hungry at all, and I still have energy to hit a WOD or strength session later in the day.

Thanks again!

24. Chris says

Regarding fish oil dosage, Robb suggests .5-1g of EPA + DHA per 10 pounds of body weight per day for someone in the beginning stages of balancing out their omega-6/omega-3 ratio. The .5g level is for those who are generally healthy but have been eating the typical American diet (i.e. high in omega-6) and the 1g level is for those who are either overweight or sick. As a maintenence level, most people come out around .25g per 10lbs. of body weight per day.

Also, regarding EPA and pregnancy. Check out Podcast #2. There Robb says, “There is a competitive inhibition of the omega-6 pathway with EPA. So, EPA, which is an omega-3, actually inhibits some of the Arachidonic Acid metabolic pathways that are vital for normal brain development.”

Hope that helps.

Thanks Chris, I will check out podcast 2, but I am still a bit puzzled on the dosing, and this may just be a misunderstanding from what I have taken in so far.

I know Robb suggests at 0.5-1.0g per 10 lb body weight, but is this just of EPA + DHA? So in this case, I weigh 190lb, I should be doing 8.5g-19g of just EPA+DHA? or 8.5-19g of total omega?

I only ask cause if this is the case, that means that I have to take about 28-56 caps of KIRKLAND fish oil (300mg EPA+DHA) per day to fall into those guidelines? This would also set me at 6-12 tsp (1/8-1/4 of an 8 ounce bottle) of Nordic Naturals per day?

I thought that I had read in Dr. Sears Omega-RX Zone about a certain measure of EPA and DHA specifically which should be shot for? In the part right before he tries to sell his “pharmaceutical grade” fish oil? But I can’t seem to find that part now when I look back through my book?

Thanks again Chris for directing me to the podcast 2, I’ll check that out tomorrow and that does make perfect sense when AA comes in to play vs. n3 levels.

26. David says

Great podcast – I am looking forward to your mic upgrade though. As a closet audiphile, you’re killing me.

Thank you for sharing more about Lou. My wife and kids and I were mesmerized by the man during the live stream. He is an inspiration.

I’m also enjoying hearing about the long distance (3 hour) food and mineral intake thing. I know it’s not your specialty, but I like hearing your take on a variety of topics.

Keep up the good work.

27. Jeffrey M says

Loving the podcast, really learning a lot, and we thank you for toughing through sleep deprivation for this latest installment.

But it’s down right offensive when you talk about the audience being limited to only 5 or 6 people… there are at least a dozen of us! (Though I may be the only one in South Carolina.)

I’ve been searching around for a “comprehensive” guide to supplements. You’ve had some great information about some specific supplements, but I haven’t really found anything on the site with a list of things you recommend taking (and the groups of people that would potentially benefit).

Sisson’s got his thoughts too, but again nothing comprehensive. He recommends heavy anti-oxidants, but claims to get them from his personal brand of multi-vitamin… I take a multi, but should I take something for A/C/E on top of it.

Sounds like a lot of folks take digestive enzymes. I have no real problems in this area – are they for everyone? I also hear a lot about vitamin D – which one, if any, do you advise. How ’bout magnesium? For all these, it’d be interesting to hear what you say about suggested amounts, brands to pursue/avoid, and things to pay attention to in terms of quality control.

Fish oil’s understood – I pop ’em like candy…

This might not be the best place for this, but I wasn’t sure how to raise this question. Thanks again for all you’re doing! Looking forward to reading your book in 2015!

-Jeffrey M

28. Mathieu Lalonde says

Robb recommends 0.5 to 1.0 g of just EPA+DHA per 10 lbs of body weight. This is indeed a lot of fish oil. I personally find it easier to cut out sources of omega-6 from the diet. Aside from being strictly paleo, I now purchase meat exclusively from grass-fed animals through a CSA and I eliminated all nuts and seeds from my diet. Additionally, I have a can of sardines almost every day. With this diet I only take 1 tablespoon of Nordic Naturals fish oil per day.

29. joey says

Any advice on a dosage for glucosamine/msm supplementation? Also, should it be taken all at one sitting or divided into separate doses.

30. Peter Grzelak says

Hey guys,

Greetings from Melbourne Australia.

Absolutley loving the podcasts. I have two questions in a previous podxast (forget the number) you mentioned the paleo margarita and the properties of acid in limes. Just wondering if the same applies to lemons? Also I recently found a tub of duck fat @ the local supermarket stating that it is high in omega 3 just wondering what your thoughts are on this in regards to omega 3 to omega 6 ratio as a source of fat? Otherwise keep up the great work.

Cheers Grizz

Peter- lemons are just as good as lime. No idea on that duck fat but I’d be surprised if it is not grain fed…which would still make the n-3/n-6 screwy. Sounds damn yummy though!

Loving all the podcasts!

Any issue with the amount of added vitamin e in fish oil tablets?

I notice mine contain 3mg in each capsule. I’m generally taking up to 6 per day.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

32. Dex says

Great comments on episode 11 re: fish oil. And I thought I was the only freak that swigged Carlson’s Fish oil.

As for the feedback issue, it might be something as simple as mic placement/distance, room variables, the type of mic and headphones you are using. Keep experimenting.

33. Jay says

What’s your take on “MILA” (
    I see it’s one of the sponsors for the 2010 games, and the information on their website makes it look like the bee’s knees (gluten-free, non-GMO, sugar-free and high in antioxidants, fiber and protein, ratio of 3:1 (3 Omega 3 to 1 Omega 6)).
    ***and thanks for the podcasts, love ’em***

34. Josh says

Any comments on COD LIVER OIL ( emulsified)
    vs FISH OIL – TWIN LABS claims that their
    COD LIVER OIL is heavy metal free – is FISH OIL
    purer or more concentrated ??? is Carlson brand considered
    a TOP BRAND ? the INTAKE of OMEGA 3 for most
    Americans is very very very low –

I am 6 ft 170lb paleo guy, 65 years of age
    would love to gain useful muscle but can not do
    HEAVY lifting ( squats or deadlifts ) Have a few bad
    disks ( degenerated ) – So I am trying to UP my protein
    and FAT blocks – but dont expect to GAIN lean mass
    with this SPINE , at this AGE !

Any coments ??? Josh near Reno NV age 65

35. Kari O. says

Robb — Have you heard of the Bio-Set testing that some Holistic Drs use to detect food allergies, as well as reactions to other forms of stress? My acupuncturist has used it on me for a while. Initially (2 yrs ago) I was showing reactive to 96 basic foods – I had some severe gut irritation. Via bio-set treatments and various enzymes, I’m now only showing a reaction to sugars, gluten, corn and occasionally some other things show up. Just wondering if I could still be reacting to something like eggs or nuts, even if it’s not showing up on here.

thx! Kari

36. Cheryl M says

For your next podcast –
    You’ve touched on the effects of Paleo on Insulin-dependent diabetics. How about a few minutes for non-insulin dependent diabetics ? I’m curious as to how the insulin response will show up in this population with a strict paleo, modified paleo (meaning strategic inclusion of legumes and diary), especially since many have EXCESS insulin that just isn’t doing its job. Thanks.

I’ve enjoyed listening to you and Andy. Maybe one day you’ll move your ‘cast to Blog Talk Radio and maybe take live questions???

37. James says

Your podcasts rule.They convinced me to go all paleo,and now give me the morale boosters to stick with it.
    Presently 47 yrs. old,6 ft, 165.@ years Crossfit prior,smoked on the met-con but soon realized I was not not strong.Took almost 1 1/2 years of work since to put on 15 lbs of muscle from 155 to 170,now after a month of Paleo I’m at 165 :-(
    Have no immune issues or leaky gut that I know of,just doing it for performance.Few questions built up from listening to all the podcasts.
    In winter (citrus months) love to press my own OJ and stir in a couple organic raw organic eggs….OK? or too much acid & fructose?So missing my oatmeal please let me keep that drink.
    You mentioned one ineavitably loses strength when they lose weight which seems kind of logical.On other hand you said Jolie and that woman from your gym had dramatic strength gains from going Paleo…. is that because they were already so leaned out that the Paleo kool-aid(benifits) kicked in immeadiatley?
    You and Andy kind of scoffed at women stereotypically wanting to lose weight & men wanting to gain.Yet it seems you’re no different after mentioning your own dairy bulk… is that a legit cycle ? Cut on Paleo and then bulk w/dairy.Can you share your experience with us?
    Do you think one can bulk on an O- lift program,or is it preferable w/ a Wendell 5 3 1 powerlifting program for max gains.Maybe I could just do the Oly moves as assists to keep those skills sharp meanwhile?

38. Scott L says

Hey Guys,

Another great show. I would just like to thank Fran for saying I am young at 37 yo I sure don’t feel that young some days.

Andy, not being able to find pants is a real problem, I am still trying traumatized from going to buy a pair of Wranglers (don’t ask why) when I was 18 and not being able to get them up past my knees. Maybe your friend and I should start a support group.

On a serious note what would you recommend post workout to keep the mass down. I usually workout around 4 pm then don’t eat until 7 or 7:30 pm in an effort to lean out. However, am I shooting myself in the foot, should I be eating something to keep the GH down? Thanks again for all the hard work.

39. Sot says

Hi i am in Australia. Want to thank Robb for all the info he passes out its awesome stuff helped me out a lot with my health and fitness. Question on Green Drink i use Core Greens from Synergy am I wasting my time and money adding it to water? Core drinks has no algae in it ingredients are clean from what I can tell.

I could not download the ingredients list for that product. I suspect it;s fine, but have no reall way of knowing at this point. Thanks for the kind words!

I’m catching up on the podcast and I note you guys speculating about the assertion that insulin is anorexigenic. I remember stumbling across this somewhere (I don’t think there was a specific primary source cite — it seems like it might be old news in the quarters that study brain insulin sensitivity) and it makes good intuitive sense to me in that when my insulin level was high thanks to levonorgestrel I found myself spontaneously fasting. My gut feeling is that this is not something the average insulin resistant/hyperinsulinemic person would experience without some perturbation of the system, but I could be wrong. Then again it sounds like this effect is seen in males but not females (at least in studies with nasal insulin squirts and such) so I could be trying to read my experience into unrelated physiology. Who knows.

The insulin/anorexic thing does not make sense to me. Not saying it does not happen, just damn squirly. A quick search implicates levonorgestrel a problem in PCOS and other hyper-insulinemic situations. THAT makes sense.

41. Dan says

Hey Rob/Andy,
    Love the work, keep it up.
    Can you at some stage look at covering added ingredients in food in an upcoming podcast.

By this, I mean, the added vegetable emulsifiers,water stabilisers, preservatives etc.

Some of it is very hard to avoid, for instance, I can get a large can of coconut cream for under a dollar, but it has something called water stabiliser 446 – which when googled up is supposed to be non toxic and non allergenic, but then again, whole grain bread and 48hr juice detoxes are good for me according to Dr Oz….

42. Kari O. says

Robb — Here’s a website that explains it. There’s a whole book too. If I had found you 3 years ago, I might not have needed it. But, my practitioner is amazing at finding not just food allergies, but also cortisol and other hormonal imbalances. He’s also done wonders with people I’ve sent to him for various illnesses and stresses.

thx again for everything!

oh – after hearing you talk about Polquin now and then, I searched around about the biosignature method. what’s the best way for me to learn more about that (I can’t afford $1000 for his seminars)? I am for sure still storing the last 5# fat in triceps and thighs and am sure it’s hormonally driven…

43. Steve says

Thank you for answering my Lecitin/Green Bean question. I’m a bit embarrassed to have confuse the two.

For me, your fish oil supplement guidance comes out to 13-26g fish oil per day, which using Carlson is 16.25 tsp/day or $3.63 per day.

Is your dosage based on obtaining a 1:1 omega-3:omega-6 ratio? I track what I eat, and eat a lot of fish and grass-fed meat, so I might want to track it manually so I don’t overdo it.

44. Greg says

Hey robb, Huge fan of the podcast! Keep up the good work.
    Q: What is your thougts about colon cleaning? I know it sounds weird but if it will help uptake better wouldn’t I want to do it?
    I am 31 and 5 11″ and 180 @ 9% . no issues , been paleo for 6 weeks.
    thanks again

45. Paul Manfre says

Rob I listened to a Podcast from University of Michigan “Saturday Morning Physics” The date was November 2 2009 and the lector was John D Smith.
    It raises some questions and I believe you can provide some answers?

I enjoy your podcast greatly and I am have been catching up on all the od podcast and I am now curent. I guest that makes me number 8?
    I do look feel and preform better only after 3 weeks, about 80 percent compiant.

1-asparagus. I really like it, and it makes my pee stink. BONUS!
      3-Tomatoes (I know Garrett, it’s a night shade…but I LOVE THEM).
      4-Carrots. Afer Melissa Urban Wrote Carrot Train To Crazy Town…pure bliss.
      5-Brussel sprouts. If I can cover them in either bacon or butter.
      6-This is a tough one but I’d say cabbage because I LOVE saurkraut.
      7-If I had on more to pic, it would be onions.

46. Scott L says

Just give me a plenty of paleo liquor and I am sure I won’t feel a thing. Good thing I didn’t eat this way when I was 18 and all hormoned up I might be a freak now…wait a minute.

Robb, I can’t speak to the PCOS situation since I really don’t know much about that condition, but levonorgestrel raises insulin production and eventually insulin resistance even in the slender, healthy young test subjects who typically turn up in these kinds of things, particularly in the second postprandial phase of insulin release. It frustrates me to no end that the clinicians handing these things out really don’t seem to be aware of this.

Oh, btw, one of the papers I found investigating insulin as an anorexigenic agent was actually proposing using it *as an intervention for obese children*. I was just dumbfounded by that. Talk about being myopic in the extreme: sure it might potentially cause the children to eat slightly less (in the short term, I suspect, and only with a good program of parental education and support at that), but at what cost? Craziness.

48. Jessica says

Hey, Robb – great job on the podcasting! Question about eggs, nightshades, and autoimmune issues…could egg white protein and nightshade veggies be causing me to breakout? I am full-on paleo, have cut out the whey protein, and am wondering why I often look like I’m just hitting puberty (okay, it’s not that bad, but blemish-free skin would be nice for a single 30 year-old:). Any input?

Some females need to add a little GLA to the mix to balance things. Try ~5mg/day for a few weeks. Drop the GLA in the 3rd week of your cycle.

49. Jessica says

I might be completely off here, but do you really mean 5 (five) mg? The lowest I have found per capsule is 240 mg…

50. julianne says

Hi Robb,
    GLA in third week of your cycle – why is it best to drop it? What’s the science bit I need to understand?

I ask because the last few months I have been taking fish oil with a little GLA added and notice even though I feel really good, the week before menstruation I have started getting more fluid retention and bloating which I didn’t used to get.
    No other PMS symptoms though.

• Grottenolm says

With regards to stopping GLA “In the 3rd week of your cycle” ~ Does this refer from the date of ovulation until menstruation? IE the luteal phase. I ask because my cycles are screwy (27 days to 50+ days sometimes) so the 3 weeks thing might not apply in my case :)

Yes supplementing with GLA over the past few months has absolutely cleared my acne, but I feel that its messing with ovulation.

51. Jessica says

Okay, I HATE to be so pesky, but the lowest I could find is a Nordic Naturals Omega Junior 3.6.9 with 33mg GLA – what do you think?

give that a shot. If you know a solid naturopath or MD who knows this stuff they can help you get that dialed. It may bee a case where you need to take it alternating days. Remember, 3rd week of your cycle, skip it all-together! If this is the issue the acne should clear up.

I forget now, but you ARE 100% grain, dairy free, yes? Not much sugar? I seem to remember that being the case.

52. Jessica says

Robb – thanks for the rapid response! Yes, 100% grain free, dairy free, and only a cup or so of berries a day as my sugar. I’ll check out some naturopaths and see if I can find someone reputable. The only issue I think I’ll have with taking this supplement is knowing when to drop – I have PCOS with amennoreah (apparently unrelated to insulin resistance – blood work came back well, etc.), so I might have to check in with a good psychic, as well:) Thanks, again.

53. Jessica says

I did find a liquid 3.6.9 with 13mg/Tbsp, so I’ll just take half of that. As far as the iodine, I’ve been taking that since December (via kelp tablet)…no noticeable changes:-(

54. Jessica says

Oh, shiz…will do. Honestly, though, I’ve spent a good chunk of time on the web looking for a GLA that low (that’s not a combined 3.6.9) and the lowest I’ve found is 125. Do you think that would be harmful?

After being Vegetarian for Ten years, then discovering the paleo diet. My health has never been better, my sexual libido has improved. I don’t care what the critics say about paleo and i don’t need i scientist to tell me that this is the best I’ve ever felt. Thank you Rob