Broccoli Basil Scramble

Sorry for the dearth of recipes lately. I have a pretty good back log of photos but I have really been hammering on the Thrifty Gene post and recently a post on cancer and ketosis…that should be done tomorrow.

The scramble has some interesting characteristics: 2lbs of broccoli, 8 eggs and a giant wad of basil. I think Nicki and i had more green vegetable matter in this one meal than most vegetarians have in a week. I added in some apple wood smoked bacon to avoid green food overload! The recipe was super simple:

Rinse the broccoli and dice finely. Head, stem, the whole works. Saute in a pan on high for ~5 min or until broccoli is al dente. While the broccoli cooks take a giant wad of fresh basil and chop it finely. Stem, leaves…again the whole works. throw this into a bowl with 8-12 scrambled eggs. Mix thoroughly and then add to the broccoli. Turn the concoction frequently and cook thoroughly. Serve with espresso and bacon.

YUM.

This was a quick, delicious breakfast that provided loads of vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, antioxidants etc. Low carb does not mean no vegetable matter and good food is NOT time intensive.

Comments

1. ec
    September 23, 2007 at 7:58 pm

uber simple – and delish!

Thanks EC! You rock Sista!
    Robb

2. aaron
    September 25, 2007 at 4:20 pm

hey robb! we sat at the same table at scott and rochelle’s wedding. i stumbled across your blog and just made this recipe. i added:

-diced onion
    -toasted pine nuts
    -diced bacon in the scramble

super good. thanks for the recipe!

aaron

Hey Aaron!
    Great to hear form you! If you snap a photo of the remake please shoot it my way:
    robb at robbwolf.com

3. Craig Cooper
    September 25, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Robb, have you ever heard of the book Fiber Menace? Very interesting, you should check it out.

Craig-
    I have not checked it out. Is this along the lines of Dr. Eades from a few weeks ago talking about gut irritation from excessive fiber? Interesting.
    Robb

4. Craig Cooper
    September 27, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Yes. Heather (Gibbons) ordered the book as soon as I told her about it, and I haven’t been able to put it down since. Good stuff!

5. RP
    October 17, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Robb, Found your place thru Coach Rut’s site. Great posts. I’m a food junkie and love broccoli w/ eggs, great new twist with basil. Thanks, RP

thanks RP!
    Robb

6. Ole
    November 25, 2007 at 11:58 pm

That is for 2, right? :P

7. Javier Gomez
    March 6, 2011 at 8:37 am

I made a similar dish using fresh brussel sprouts and spinach in addition to the broccoli. I added a little garlic as well. Keep the recipes coming.