By: Carly Keaveny
12 oz bacon (optional but recommended), chopped
1 lb grass fed ground beef
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1-2 bell peppers (red, orange, or yellow), chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 small or 1 large-sized apple, chopped
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped
1 sprig of fresh thyme, chopped
2 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cayenne
1 can of diced & fire-roasted tomatoes (14 oz)
1/2 can of full fat coconut milk (7 oz)
1 1/2 cups unsweetened marinara sauce
sea salt to taste
Instructions: 1. Melt coconut oil in a dutch oven pot on medium heat. If using bacon, add the chopped bacon pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes or until slightly crispy. Chop veggies and apples while the bacon cooks.
2. Add chopped vegetables and apples to pot and stir occasionally (7-10 minutes). Prep the seasonings while the veggies and apples cook.
3. When the onions are slightly transparent and the apples are soft, add the ground beef and all seasonings to the pot. Stir to mix ingredients well and cook for 5 minutes.
4. When beef is browned, add fire-roasted tomatoes, marinara sauce, and coconut milk. Stir.
5. Let simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Serve in a mug, fiesta bowl, or some other equally cozy vessel, topped with a dollop of goat cheese and one of my Yammy Pumpkin Muffins. Enjoy!
Notes: This recipe was originally posted on my paleo food blog, www.cavewife.com. I’m so appreciative to Robb Wolf and his team for all they do to change people’s lives. Thank you!