Exotic Paleo Chili
By: Sascha Spaeth
2 ancho chilies
2 pasilla chilies
2 chipotle chilies
2 chilies de arbol
4 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch slices)
1 pound beef (chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
28 ounce diced tomatoes
19 ounces Shrimps
1 cup coffee
1 coconut water
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon oregano
(optional) salt to taste
1/4 tablet dark chocolate 82% (grated)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1. Toast the ancho, pasilla, chipotle and de arbol chilies in a pan.
2. Cover in boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large pan and set aside retaining the grease in the pan.
4. Add the beef and brown on all sides in the bacon grease and set aside.
5. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
7. Add the bacon, beef, tomatoes, Shrimp, coffee, coconut water, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne and oregano.
8. Drain the chilies and blend in a half a cup of fresh water and add to the pot. (Tip: Add the chilies a bit at a time taste testing as you go to get it to the level of heat that you desire.)
9. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the beef is fork tender, about 3-5 hours, adding more beef broth if required.
10. Add the diced banana and chocolate.
11. Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.