Food On the Table meets The Paleo Solution!

Hey everyone!

I hope y’all are doing well. Life is motoring along at Casa de Lobo as Zoe is now sleeping through the night (¡Gracias a Dio!) so I’m feeling a little less like one of the cast of thee Walking Dead.

I want to let folks know about a project we just wrapped up that should really help streamline shopping for chow. This should save time, money and generally running around like a wild person. I’ve partnered with Food On The Table to produce a smart phone app that is pretty slick and should help you a bunch. Here’s the scoop:

Food On the Table – Explained

The basic idea with Food On the Table is that once you download the app, you enter your zip code and you are provided a list of the local grocery stores in your area as well as the specials each store is running.

Pretty snazzy, right? Well, in addition to this we have added my recipes from the Paleo Solution to the database. You can scroll through the data-base, pick a recipe and see who locally has the goods and the best deals.

Additionally, we will be adding a ton of purely paleo recipes, but right out of the gate you will have access to thousands of good, but non-paleo recipes.

Put your clubs and Atlatls down!

Here is my thinking on this: When we were putting this all together I had the option of only offering paleo recipes or digging deep into the FOTT database and offering a ton of other recipes with no additional charge. Initially I was going to keep it only paleo recipes out of fear of the gnashing of teeth that is likely to happen when folks realize part of the (optional) database includes recipes with grains and other schlock. Well…I was talked into the idea that folks will be able to remember the basic idea behind paleo (no grains, legumes and dairy) and simply MODIFY otherwise good recipes to fit into paleo guidelines.

I must admit, I’m nervous on this! It seems like a good thing to offer “more” and that folks can navigate this like big kids…but we’ll see!

Either way, let me know if you check out the app and how/if it helps you to streamline your shopping. This app is available for both iPhone and Android products. Get more info and buy now.

Comments

1. Steve
    November 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Love the idea and I am sure it took a lot of development work but $77 is very aggressive.

2. Barb
    November 3, 2012 at 3:41 am

I will be thrilled to order this when it is paleo only recipes I already slog through enough non paleo recipes now adapting them. Look forward to using this in the future.

3. Disappointed
    November 3, 2012 at 5:03 am

I read the article about the ap, was excited, downloaded it and there are no paleo recipes. After looking into it a bit more, I see that I would have to pay for access to any paleo specific recipes. Frankly, it wasn’t worth the download for the grain-filled recipes. I am certainly not paying for access to paleo recipes on an ap. There are free recipes available everywhere and it’s quite easy to check my supermarket circular for sales each week. I’ve been doing it for months. This was not your best recommendation.

• Robb Wolf
      November 3, 2012 at 9:25 am

Disappointed-
      Really appreciate the feedback. As with every-other product I’ve released, some have found dit useful, others not. Even the entirely free offerings garner grumbling occasionally! chop wood, carry water I guess?

4. Todd Dosemberry
    November 4, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Robb – This would probably help millions of people. I love all that you are doing, even on the politics side – you are the reason why I’m super interested in it and why Ill vote for Gary.

BUT, $77 is waaaay out of line. Are there any smart phone apps that sell for more? I don’t think so. You deserve every penny but this Toad here suggests that you may want to rethink the price.

5. Melissa
    November 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

I really want to start with the fact that I love everything you and your team do for us that are trying our best to live the best lives possible. I love everything that I have read by you, and am very thankful that I have the Paleo Solution on my table to reference for anything from easy recipes to explanations for Non-Paleo’s to understand the science of what I do to even just a good laugh (yes, I enjoyed the humor in the book that much!), but I’m on the fence about this one. I love the idea about finding the deals in the stores- that’s snazzy, but I’m just hard pressed to pay $77 for an app that’s not exclusively Paleo. I know I should pull up my big girl panties and find ways to make the recipes fit my eating habits, but couldn’t I just do that with any old cookbook? Most people dig through these paleo websites and cookbooks because they dont have the time or know how to do that very thing? I want to be able to purchase this right now, but with the holidays (two kids to buy for), and all the money I have to spend on groceries anyways- this just isnt in my realm of possibility. I wish you, and your team, the best of luck with this venture, even if I wont be able to reap the benefits!

6. M
    November 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Robb-

I’m a huge fan and try to follow all that you do. I just do not see the benefit of this App. It will tell me when things are on sale, yes, but cooking for one, I just don’t see myself eating enough and saving $77 worth of items on sale from this app unless I drive all over to buy very specific items when they’re on sale at very specific stores.

I can look at recipes for free anywhere online and quickly make a grocery list.

Anyway, as always, we definitely appreciate all of the efforts you do! I’m sure this could be more beneficial to someone who buys a lot more food for a family. Thanks for all your hard work :-)

• Robb Wolf
      November 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

thanks M!
      Like I’ve said to other folks, some people have loved this thing. I mirror your thoughts…but different folks have different needs.

7. Sienna
    November 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Interesting idea, but I dont have $77 extra, nor will it work in my area Im guessing (Vancouver BC).

Thanks though for your website, podcasts, blogs and forums. Just love paleo, but its not easy. Still miss my sour dough bread, kaiser buns, garlic toast, etc. Resisting almost always though and I feel so much better for it.

Sienna

8. Nick Chertock
    November 15, 2012 at 11:40 am

If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it. Simple as that. I think it’s weak that “fans” would comment on the website that because the app isn’t free or like $4 they’re disappointed.

9. Cathy
    November 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Just wanted to alert you to a customer service issue at FOTT. I purchased the collection a week ago. Because I already had an account with them I had to email my receipt with a request to enable. I haven’t heard from them at all (3 emails & 1 Facebook msg) and I can’t access the collection. Just wanted to let you know since you’ve partnered with them.

10. Khurrum
    December 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

Will the app be available in the UK?