Darwinian Medicine talk at SUNY New Paltz

Hey there!

Just wanted to let y’all know about an upcoming talk I’ll be giving to the Evolutionary Studies Program (EvoS) at SUNY New Paltz. Here is the pertinent info:

When:

Monday, Feb 27th 5:30-630 pm (reception and book signing to follow)

Where:

Lecture Center 100, SUNY New Paltz Campus

Who Can attend?

Anyone! Come down and spend the afternoon with us. Here is a link the the FaceBook Events page, let us know if you will be there.

Sunny New Paltz link to the talk.

ALSO:

I will be on KCNR Radio Saturday, January 28th at 10 am PST. You can listen in HERE either live or after the fact.

And a few musings on Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin, who were both born on Feb 12th, 1809.

Comments

1. Darren
    January 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

I don’t have a facebook account, but my wife and I are planning on attending (from Albany.)

2. Tony Basile
    January 27, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I will be there! Just received my copy of the Paleo Solution. I am a couple of chapters in, cannot wait to finish it.

3. Ryan Hansen
    January 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Saw you in Ramsey and we will see you in New Paltz!

4. Tudor
    January 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

Rob, please translate your shopping list into Romanian!…i want to begin eating paleo but i just can’t figure out what’s the right designation into Romanian for some of the foods you listed.(used google translate to write this message)

5. paleoslayer
    January 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

Looks like these evol.psychology guys have the essence of the theory down pat-

“..virtually all tissue in living organisms is functionally organized, and because this organization is the product of evolution by natural selection, a major presumption of evolutionary psychology is that the brain, too, is functionally organized.. Thus, according to evolutionary psychology, neural tissue is no different from any other tissue: it is functionally organized to serve survival and reproduction. This is the foundational assumption of evolutionary psychology.. “Evolutionary time, the time it takes for reproductively efficacious mutations to arise and spread in the population, is often taken to be roughly 1000-10,000 generations; for humans, that equals about 20,000-200,000 years. ”

So they shouldn’t be skeptical to the claims of a paleo diet. Actually, based on their own principles, they should ASSUME paleo claims to be true unless proven otherwise. ie: paleo not being optimal would necessitate them to reassess their own hypotheses of ev psychology.
    It’ll be interesting to see how they respond to your talk. If they respond negatively it only goes to show how strong our conventional paradigms can be.

• Robb Wolf
      January 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

No, they are fully on-board with this stuff. Huge honor to be asked out.

6. Sonya
    January 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

That’s where I got my Bachelor’s! I might try to get my parents to go- they sure could use some good info and hearing it from someone other than me would be a good thing.

7. paleoslayer
    January 28, 2012 at 9:13 am

Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin- brilliant, groundbreaking, stuck to their principles, honest, motivated to help humanity. *AQUARIUS*

8. Bob
    January 30, 2012 at 4:06 am

Hi – I’m a big fan of paleo etc. I have a question I can’t seem to find the answer to on my own.
    Why the emphasis on ‘Lean’ meat. Why not fatty meat. Their seems to be a lot of evidence for eating the fatty meat. Especially if you listen to Gary Taubes or Peter Attia.
    Thanks.

• Amy Kubal
      January 30, 2012 at 6:13 am

Bob – If the meat is from grass-fed animals the fattier cuts are great – higher in omega 3 fats. If you are eating grain fed meats the fattier cuts are high in omega 6 fatty acids and minimizing the O-6′s while increasing the O-3 fats is the goal!

• Bob
        January 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

Amy – Somehow I was missing that point, that clears it right up.
        Thank you!

• Jon
        January 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Just on a sidenote. I think I heard someone mention that grassfed meats actually aren’t that much higher in O-3 fats, it’s just that there’s less O-6? Is this not the case? (not that it really matters, but I’m just curious)

• Robb Wolf
          January 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Well, it’s that ratio and it def is bette rin GF. Also CLA, alpha lipoic acid, sustainability….

• Amy Kubal
          January 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Grassfed does have more O-3′s, but for the most part it is the reduced O-6′s. Grassfed FTW!!! :)

9. Sam B
    February 28, 2012 at 12:36 am

Here is a link for those who couldn’t make it.

I wish it was one of the “8 hour classes”, regardless, it was awesome. Thanks again Robb.