A Merry Christmas and a Junk Free January

Hi all. I hope your holiday season has been good so far.

I’m not a big fan of New Year’s resolutions in general, but I’ve got a good one for you if you’re at a loss as to what to do. Why not give up one “junk food” ingredient for the entire month of January?

The junk food ingredients are:

1. Gluten (mainly wheat products and beer)
  2. Sugar (including juice and dried fruits – whole/fresh is okay)
  3. n6 Oil (vegetable and seed oils)

This is all part of the grand scheme of a Paleo diet (where you would also forego dairy, legumes, and possibly nightshades), but it’s a way to try it out without going whole hog. And just paying attention to what you put in your pie-hole for month is a good exercise in self awareness.

I realize I’m preaching to the choir here in most cases, but this is your chance to get your friends and family to try this crazy shit out for a month. All without being intimidated with the litany of forbidden foods your barrage them with when they are brave enough to ask. You just keep it simple – don’t eat ONE thing.

That is quite a challenge for most people. People’s lives literally revolve around these foods. Since these unhealthy ingredients tend to run together, something lovely like a doughnut is knocked out no matter what junk ingredient you are avoiding. It’s possible to get a big benefit from a simple rule.

Now if you already are “kinda” Paleo this is your opportunity to go 100% (eat none of the three junk ingredients) for a whole month – renew your vows, so to speak. I personally waver a bit on how strict I am, but I really try to hammer it home for this one month. It sort of resets my bearings.

If you are interested or can talk some victims into playing along send an email to junkfreejan@gmail.com, and I will put you or them on the list. Send me your first name and last initial along with the town or city you currently reside in and which of the junk you’ll be avoiding for the month. I’ll be emailing out updates and further information as we approach the new year.

Website is at www.junkfreejan.com.

Hoping to hear from you,

Matt

Comments

1. Stephen
    December 25, 2011 at 2:09 am

I treated myself last night to an Arabic dessert which is made from rice, sugar and (non refined) sesame oil. Very tasty, and low gluten. But, alas, not low any of the other two :)

(Having said that, the fatty acid profile of sesame oil is not that bad. There’s as much n9 as there is n6 – the two making up the lion’s share, along with some SFAs.)

Anyway, back to my regime of MCTs, n7s, 9s and 3s as early as possible next year!

2. Debbie B in MD
    December 25, 2011 at 10:17 am

the website didn’t work for me. It sent me to glutenfreejan.com. Is this you too?
    Great post and reminder.

• Matt Lentzner
      December 25, 2011 at 11:41 am

GlutenFreeJan.com is last years thing. Thanks for the info. I’ll get right on it.

• Debbie B in MD
        December 25, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Great. I would like to sign up. Please let me know when things are a go. I am already gluten, nightshade, corn, soy and as of 3 days ago egg free. I have celiac and thyroid issues so it looks like the autoimmune protocol for me. I do use some cheese. As of now I am dairy and sugar free. I can use all of the guidance and support I can find.

• Matt Lentzner
        December 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I can’t reproduce this problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

3. Neil
    December 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I have convinced my father, aunt, and uncle to give the 30-day meal plan from the Paleo Solution a try this January!!! Woo! (body fat, joint pain, arthritis, energy level, etc. issues)

To that end, I scanned it out of the book and converted it to a text file, edited it, and added the shopping list and some intro stuff, then exported to pdf.

• Amy Kubal
      December 27, 2011 at 6:16 am

AWESOME Neil!!! Let us know how it goes!! It’s going to be a great 2012 for your family! :)

4. Trevor Frayne
    December 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I was considering this for all of 2012 but I figure those special occasions it may be too hard (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). Then I had a thought. Why not do it most of the time and leave those occasions as my cheat? The number one, I always have to do. And honestly, being an Emotional eater, number two is the hard one. But number three will be easy for me. I really don’t desire the foods in that category. I’m just a sugar addict.

• Amy Kubal
      December 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You can do it Trevor! Use January as a Jump Start and keep up the momentum!! Give it a go!!! :)

5. Mark's Fat Burning Food and Fitness Blog
    December 28, 2011 at 4:23 am

I’d say the sugar and complex carbs (also sugar) should be #1,2 and 3.
    IMO sugar is a drug, plain and simple.

Once you’re off it for a while, try a mars bar then! You might as well have a tablespoon of sucrose with a little canola oil… tastes about the same, and no joke.

Problem: you get hooked o sugar in a flash, and it starts tasting goos again within a day.

So the best amount of sugar is zip, zero, never have it, period.

Mark