The Road Forager: Chipotle in Trenton NJ

This was shot about an hour before the September 14th Paleo Solution book release. The audio is a little goofy, but we get the point across. You CAN do gluten free Paleo on the road. Chipotle, although “corporate” offers a great option of good quality food, reasonable prices and numerous locations. For those of you who go way back with CrossFit you will recognize my good friend Dave Wood from the old CF message board days. It was great to hang out with Dave and thank you to everyone who came out to the Ramsey, NJ signing at Borders.

Comments

1. Todd S.
    September 23, 2010 at 4:17 am

Awesome. I’ve never been to Chipotle but we’re about to get our first one in the area. Looks like a decent place to go when I just don’t feel like cooking.

2. Mark R.
    September 23, 2010 at 5:04 am

Hey Robb,
    Love Chipotle, great stuff. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of questions on this or maybe it’s just me. We all know dairy is out for die-hard paleo enthusiasts (those with a pre-existing autoimmune issue) but do you see the pure fat versions (sour cream, heavy cream, and butter) as ok? From what I can gather, it seems that the bad stuff in dairy comes from the carb/protein side contained in milk and cheese. My reason for this question is because my wife and I follow Paleo to be healthy (avoid disease and have a safe pregnancy when the time comes) as I believe that Paleo eating is the most fool-proof method out there. Therefore, would you say that we’re safe with the said pure fat dairy options?

Thanks, sorry to be nit-picky. I feel like I’m one of the people who bash Pat Sherwood for all his food choices in the Zone Chronicle videos. I don’t intend to be that kind of person. Great book by the way, my wife is next in line to read it.
    Thanks,
    Mark

• Mark R.
      September 23, 2010 at 5:57 am

Follow-up on the same line of thinking – white rice. I know you have covered this before but I just wanted to clarify. If one is looking at Paleo from primarily a health and longevity point of view (no anti-nutrients and such), do you see any reason to avoid white rice? It’s not a nutrient dense food and is carb dense but if one is hypo-caloric or at maintenance level, I don’t think that is much of an issue. I know you have made the analogy of a firecracker with corn but didn’t know if it translated over to white rice (not brown). Sorry for the question but as my wife has agreed to embark on the Paleo lifestyle with me (huge win by the way), I know that she would be thrilled if was allowed to eat white rice regularly.
      Thanks again Robb.
      P.S. Maybe the standard answer of take it out for 30 days and then reintroduce it, see how you do and if you feel fine then go with it, would apply here?

• Robb Wolf
        September 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

Mark-
        White rice still has some lectin/antinutrient issues the feed into GERD and other digestive problems. Tinker, I think you will notice a difference by eating it sparingly instead of as a staple.

• Mark R.
          September 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

Thanks Robb, much appreciated. I can’t imagine traveling that much!

3. Chuck O'Neil
    September 23, 2010 at 6:18 am

Can you explain what makes sour cream different from most dairy?

• Robb Wolf
      September 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

chuck-Mainly fat and I explain my use in another response. Use these paleo concepts as guides, not as religious doctrine. Well, except for gluten, Gluten is Satan!

• Chuck
        September 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I suppose that’s why you call this segment the road forager and not the road perfectionist, thanks for keeping me pointed in the right direction!

4. Andy Smith
    September 23, 2010 at 6:54 am

Hey Robb, I heard that the Chipotle veggies were grilled in soy oil… just fyi.

• Robb Wolf
      September 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

Andy-
      When I’m on the road all I care about is survival and no gluten exposure. If I get geeked on what oil they are cooking thins in im done. In the past two years I have spent 34 weeks each year on the road. helping everyone else’s health is ruining mine!

• Christina
        September 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I don’t remember who was telling me this last week, but they said that the soy oil was not as bad as I thought. Something about it being soy lecithin or something like that…. Crap…now I wish I could remember, because I’d sound pretty smarty-farty… :)

• Paul C
          June 15, 2013 at 11:16 am

On their allergen page, they show that ALL of their meats contain soy allergen.

I was going to hit their for lunch today, but decided to look into it more.

• Amy Kubal
            June 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Yes, this is true – but sometimes you have to make the best of a less than optimal situation. This is one of those cases, unfortunately. You’re going to be hard-pressed to find many restaurants that don’t use soybean, corn, canola or ‘vegetable’ oils. They’re cheap and most people view them as ‘healthy’.

5. Chelssie
    September 23, 2010 at 8:38 am

that all looks YummO, however, isn’t the sour cream Dairy?

• Robb Wolf
      September 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

chelssie-
      Yes, but when I’m on the road I’m lucky if I get 2 meals some days and I am constantly getting a gluten dose. That meal was at 4pm and I did not get to eat again until noon the following day. I loaded up the cals so I;d have the steam to push through the book signing, and another day of travel. Sourcream is mainly fat, very little protein content so not as inflammatory as say cheese.

• Christina
        September 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

YES! Good to know because I love sourcream more than I love cheese!

6. Chuck P
    September 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

Good choice but pricey for a quick lunch. If you ask for no rice there you get practically nothing in their burrito bowl unless you pay extra. Neighborhood mexican places get you more paleo bang for the buck. But as you have illustrated, there are good Paleo options at Chipotle.

7. PJ
    September 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

Robb, Thanks for coming out to the dirty Jerzzz. The book is great. I totally took myself off of Gluten and I can’t believe how clear my head is and how sharper my memory has become! Feel like I’m out of a fog. Hope the tour is going good. Good Times..(P.S. I was the guy with the drivers liscences)

8. Bill Strahan
    September 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

Chipotle is my kitchen away from home. If, like me, you only want the meat and gaucamole you can save a few bucks by how you order it. Tell them you just want two (or three) sides of your choice of meat in the bowl, and nothing else. Then ask for a side of guacamole at the end.

They charge the same for the guac whether they put it on the bowl or in a side cup. But this way they don’t charge for a bowl + extra side of meat, they just charge for two sides of meat. You can get three sides of meat for less money than a bowl + 1 side of meat, so if you’re there for the protein that’s the more cost effective way to do it.

If you get all the other stuff, like pico, etc, then they’ll charge you for the bowl.

Ah, Chipotle. Two sides of chicken, one side of steak, and a side of guac. Yes.

Bill

• michele
      September 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

whoa, great strategy… thanks!

• Joe Brancaleone
      September 23, 2010 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the advice on getting the price down, Bill. How much roughly would the two sides of meat + 1 side of guac cost, vs the 3 sides of meat + 1 side of guac?

joe

• Morgan
      September 23, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Bill,

Too too funny. That’s _exactly_ what I do. All of the Chipotle shops along my most common road-trip routes seem to know me now as the “two sides of meat, one side of guac” guy.

And typically it comes to under $6. Hard to beat!

Cheers,

-Morgan

9. Chad
    September 23, 2010 at 11:50 am

I agree with Bill! Chipotle is my GO-TO for Paleo in the City, especially when I’m busy showing properties or going to-and-from. It is pricey (mine with guac, and tea, comes to $12), but it’s quality, hefty, and feels great ;) Thanks for the vid.

10. chuck
    September 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’ve been driving right past Chipotle because of wheat tortillas the size of a 1960’s TV sombrero. Good to know how to do it paleo.

11. AmyP
    September 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Legit! I went to Vegas this year with the hubby and I managed to eat mostly out of my cooler, and ate an extra large steak salad at Chipotle every day. Salad, steak, salsa, veggies, guacamole= heaven.

12. Greg Davis
    September 24, 2010 at 3:21 am

Robb- Does only being able to eat ~2x / day on the road get you thinking about trying to always just eat 2x / day for simplicity? Kurt Harris and others seem to make it work.. I guess it just all depends on meal size to get in enough calories so do you just ad lib it and aim for 2-3 meals still?

• Robb Wolf
      September 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

Greg-
      90% of my days are 3 meals, soemwhat in a n IF format. I get lean but skinny as hell on this! The funny thing is if I was just shooting for Calvin Klein look I;d be there…but I’d like to cary a bit more muscle.

13. Bill
    September 24, 2010 at 5:43 am

I the book came in yesterday and I have been reading it like crazy. So glad its done! My wife is nearly on board with taking the Paleo leap. After reading the excerpt on Tim’s blog she was thoroughly freaked out. I love the road forager stuff because any chance I get to help her see the mainstream practicality of this helps my case. Keep up the great work. Psuodo-science ftw!

-Bill

14. Johanna Lamb
    September 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

Hey Robb
    You got a shoutout from Dr. Eades

• Robb Wolf
      September 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

Johanna-
      Dr. Eades (both of them) have been heroes of mine for along time. That I make that page, that my thoughts matter in all this is perhaps the greatest honor I could ever have.

15. David Wood
    September 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Hey Robb: incredibly honored to be on your blog, and to be able to host you and Nicki. Best of luck on the ride you’re going to have as an NYT Best-Selling Author. Just for complete disclosure: that Chipotle we were eating at was in Bridgewater, NJ, not Trenton (I don’t think there even is one in Trenton).

• Robb Wolf
      September 25, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Dave-
      It was good hanging with you. google maps pinned that as Trenton…so Trenton it is ;0)

16. Brian D
    September 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Just curious robb. I’m guessing that your version of chipotle cost about $12? If that gets me through most of the day I’m guessing it’s worth it.

• Robb Wolf
      September 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Brian-
      Yea, I think that’s rught but it was about 1500 cals…so not that pricey on a $/calories basis.

17. sarena
    October 12, 2010 at 4:55 am

oh crappers, I just saw this. You were in Ramsey?? That is like 10 minutes from me. So sorry I missed it but I did get your book yesterday and read most of it

18. David
    November 4, 2010 at 4:13 am

Holy cow, did you finish the whole shebang?? I just realized im way undereating if thats the way im supposed to roll. I know you’re not into counting calories but whats your estimate in that sucker? Love your work and spreading the word! Missed you in houston this past weekend but heard it was great, will be getting the book this week. Keep up the good work!

19. The Kharchafs
    November 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm

We are wondering why you don’t opt for a salad. Is there a specific reason you would want to avoid the leafy greens?

• Robb Wolf
      November 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

I just like this one better. the salad would certainly be fine. My vegetable consumption is measured in pounds…I’m not wanting for more veggies!